Based in Montreal, Quebec
each fragment filtered lakelight
leaves were mosaics of stained glass
cast shades opaque and lovely
we hid in driftwood castles
Skipping Stones is a generative music and exploration game set by a lake-side clearing. Skip stones across the water, and listen to the sounds that they make. Skipping Stones explores solitude through a unique expression of generative music, art, and poetry. It's about the need to sometimes leave the city, be alone with your thoughts, and wonder at the beauty and tragedy of life.
Skipping Stones was inspired by a walk taken up a mountain after an emotional trauma incurred by an unexpected loss. Driven by the need to escape from the city to be alone and reflect, KO-OP began to explore the ways people cope in an experimental game combining abstract visuals with generative sound and poetry.
- Beautiful generative soundscapes that transform and change the longer you play.
- Explore an abstract environment with a painterly polygonal style inspired by Canada's Group of Seven landscape artists
- Non-linear interactive poetry that pieces together the dreamy landscape and the sounds
Skipping Stones Teaser YouTube
Reveal Trailer (Old Art) YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Selection, Different Games Arcade." - New York, April 2014
- "Selection, Eurogamer Indie Games Arcade." - London, September 2013
- "Selection, Boston Festival of Indie Games." - Boston, September 2013
- "It makes you feel like a child again, able to find beauty and joy in the smallest of things..."
- Ria Jenkins, Indie Haven - Skipping Stones: EGX Preview
- "Damn you, Ko-op."
- Jennifer Whitson, Technoculture, Art and Games - It's not okay to cry during a demo night...
- "Every now and then an indie game comes along that reminds us what indie games are about. It brings us on some magical departure from everything we’ve come to see games as, takes us to a nice, still pond, and asks us to just toss some stones in it… because, why not?"
- Joshua Philipp, TechZwn - Skipping Stones Wants You To Come Make Music
KO_OP is a unique, award-winning game studio focused on the creation of visually arresting avant-garde games. They recently released GNOG for PlayStation, iOS, and Steam – a title which has earned them a prestigious IGF nomination, numerous awards, and industry recognition.
More information on KO_OP, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Skipping Stones Credits
Ramsey Kharroubi / Marskye
Sound Design and Composition